Monday, October 10, 2005

My flatmates have arrived! I was a bit nervous talking to them at first but we get on really well, and I'm understnding most of what they say to me! They both have quite thick accents - Gisene's from Thuringen and Dorene's from Halle, near Leipzig - but it's really good to be speaking more German. They've been introducing me to the delight that is the German music world and attempting to help me understand the whole rubbish bin situation.

Yesterday morning I arrived at church to discover that the service started earlier than usual and was actually somewhere else, so I'm thinking that someone really doesn't want me going to church in Germany! This is a different church than before but I enjoyed the service here so think this is where I'm going to try to get involved, that is if I can get through the front door of course! I decided to go for walk around the church area and discovered a beautiful park with a little lake, and a bit further on I came across the reservoir! It's really pretty (though of course not as nice as Silent Valley for all you NIrish!) and I walked all the way around it. Also discovered a tennis club, so that was quite exciting too! On the way home I met some some of my Class 5 students who were able to point me in the direction of my house as I wasn't entirely sure where I was!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I logged on this morning and discovered that there were many more entries than I had previously discovered. Lovely to read all about it but the phone is still the best - glad your accent is still intact!

Love Mum

Anonymous said...

Good to catch up on your news. Delighted about your flat mates and that you're obviously able to fit in some quality chilling out! Envious over the nice German food you'll be munching, but will eat an extra stottie just for you!

I sympathise over the gas thing - I just hopefully waft lit matches around on Scout camps and hope for a Burning Bush sort of experience. (No, not lynching the US President sort of burning Bush.) Of course, unconsuming fire would be nice as calor gas bottles are sooo heavy.

Things much less exciting here, although I ran a really messy craft evening with the Cubs in preparation for Trafalgar Day. Which I guess they won't be celebrating over there... Admittedly the artwork turned into some impromptu face-painting, but I'm sure ready-mix poster paint washes off if you rub hard enough.

Another cultural divide with my German friend Gundula concerned the importance of Doctor Who. Her scepticism is a shame as I had the chance last Saturday to get inside a life-size dalek and shout 'Exterminate' and suchlike through a voice synthesizer at small kids. Not only that, but the dalek had a really neat and surprisingly long-ranged water canon in its gun bit on the front. So anyone who didn't respond in a suitably awed manner got squirted. Ace fun, if a little random in aiming, but I was extracted after a depressingly small number of surprised wet yelps. The real daleks never had spoilsport PR people to deal with. Exterminate. (I was on Look North, but well-encased within a dalek so I don't know whether that counts as being on telly or not!)

Praying that God guides and guards you always.

Lynne said...

Hey Chris
Thanks for all the comments you've been leaving. I so wish I could have witnessed the dalek experience! I can only imagine how much fun that must have been!