Wednesday, September 07, 2005

First impressions

…..and still couldn’t get my eyes open at 7.30 this morning! School was good, although after observing the classes, I’m feeling a little intimidated at the prospect of working with the older ones – I’m just not cool enough, and they all think I’m crazy, especially after I told them I like Britney (unbelievable as it is, Bryony, she is not cool here!)

The teachers are friendly and willing help. Met the headmistress who, in standard German fashion, had me in and out of the office in 7 minutes flat, having covered all the practical things I need to do for living here, arranging to take me to register (have to let the authorities know I’m here) and making me feel most welcome in her school.

Shopping was an interesting experience. Ramona took me to pick up a few essentials, and it’s funny how even the simplest of tasks is stressful in a foreign country. Thankfully Ramona was able to help me discover things I was familiar with, as well as recommend good sausage, and not laugh when she found me looking at an aisle full of tea and looking totally bewildered cos I couldn’t find PG Tips anywhere (seriously Becky, if you come to visit, bring a supply!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to hear from you... Newcastle and Westgate in particular misses you. Strangely enough, Heather Morton was asking me on the phone yesterday just what you were up to - not having seen you back at church since the new term started. I could only mumble something vague about you skiving for a year, so nice to know that you are actually doing some proper work!

Great to hear that you are settling in and being so accepted by the children. Not only children, the young adults too! What opportunities to spread your distinctive and great gospel message.

Let us know how your search for a church goes - also your search for PG Tips taste-alikes.

Let me know if you ever have any prayer requests; it would be a privelege to pray them (but not in German). I've just had a friend from Melsungen (near Kassel)staying for a week and am ashamed to say that we spoke barely a German word - although we laughed a lot bilingually!

God guide and guard,
Chris Hudson

Anonymous said...

how can brittney not be cool???

so good to hear from you sounds like you are doing a supper fab job there, newcastle cu and hall group (not that we technically exsist any more sob) are missing you but its great to be in a house soo much more chilled than halls.

thanks for having me in northern ireland it was really good to see you and your parents they are so lovely, although i'm still not too good @cooking got food poisioning few days ago not pretty at all!!

best go maybe will visit that would be really fun love you lots anna xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Lynne!

Sounds pretty awesome at the moment, its great to hear from you! Hope your weekend has gone well so far and you've found a church near you for today. Don't worry about being cool, just because Britney isnt that popular in Germany (or Britain). You're by far the coolest person in Newcastle
so by that reasoning you must be the coolest person on mainland europe, they just haven't spotted the stripey socks yet! Were the sausages good? And good luck finding your PG tips fix!

Freshers is pretty crazy over here, I swear they look younger every year!

Keep the stripey craze alive!