Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Christmas continues

Christmas has been and gone, New Year has done likewise, and it's been a week since I arrived back in Glauchau. I had such a fab at home over the holidays and it was weird to be back in Germany at first, but now it feels like I've been here forever! Last week I taught a lesson on Ireland to a class I'd never met before and this week I'm teaching them Irish Dancing! and yes, this class does incluude 10 15 year old boys - watch this space! On Sunday I went with Frau Stoll and her family to Seiffen, which is the cutest town I've seen! It's in the mountains and is really famous for Christmassy things! A lot of decorations are made there, and during Advent it has a popular Christmas market. We had such a nice afternoon but the best bit was when it was getting dark, all the lights in the town came on, all the Christmas decorations were still up and there was a whole lot of snow on the ground - it was so pretty!
Actually, the Christmas decorations here in Glauchau are only just being taken down today, and some houses near me still have theirs up! Christmas lasts a long time here! I don't think i put it in the last post but if you ask a German what date Christmas is on they'll say 24th December as they celebrate it on our Christmas Eve! I didn't know that before but they get to open their presents a day before us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

So glad that you have had two great Christmasses, Irish and German! Interesting to read your snippets about how the season is celebrated.

I also managed a double Christmas as I went down to Oxford the weekend before to have a 'practice' with the nephews. All the trimmings and all the noisy, messy and downright dangerous presents I inflicted upon them - you haven't had the pleasure of seeing Mark and I race radio control minis. It's hard to believe that Mark is five now (Johnny nearly two) and moves like greased lightening. Had to watch his school nativity play ad nauseam. A cringeable 'official' production, with much footage of Mark practically ripping the arms off small classmates by over-enthusiastically shaking hands as a Bethlehem villager (he was demoted from being arch-angel). Then a lovely quiet actual Christmas at home and the church tradition Boxing Day walk along the beach (on which only myself and Charity's kids jumped waves and got wet feet). Too much eating.

Lovely to hear that you had lots of snow, at least in Seiffen. We had snow nicely before Christmas that I spent a whole day clearing off the ice rink at the Centre for Life, despite my protestations that it just made it softer when you fell over. I did take all the Cubs and Scouts skating, but am quite as bad as ever. Wish I could manage even half of your skating skill!

I've just got all the Scripture Union stuff through for the coming year, and hope and pray that I can contribute something this time.

I'm heavily involved in planning the St George's Day service and activities for about 400 children: Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Brownies and Guides. A nightmare of organisation in one of our local historic halls, but at last the activities are coming together. You could pray that it is positive spiritual experience as well as great fun. I must admit to being quite daunted as I'm going to have to teach all the activities to the other leaders as well as be general troubleshooter on the day! For next year I'll remember that you teach Irish dancing...

The housegroup is having its Christmas party tonight at the Kemal (behind the times as ever): I'll remind you to them all. We do still include you in our prayers.

I really hope (and trust) that your teaching is blessed and that you continue to grow and learn whilst having great fun.

In my prayers,
Chris